Tuesday, February 15, 2011

3 years...

3 years ago yesterday, Tater got the trach.  Wow.  The trach and I have a love/hate relationship for all the obvious reasons.

Love:  it saved Tater's life, it's actually not as hard to take care of as it looks, it has allowed us to avoid numerous hospital stays, we've met so many wonderful people because of it;

Hate:  it can be a pain in the butt to take care of, Tater can't do a lot of normal kid things because of it, we can't leave him with just anyone and it takes a lot of planning when we do leave him, we have to deal with nursing agencies and Medicaid, we do not travel lightly and Tater's gear takes up most of the back of the van on trips.

Life with a trach is full of contradictions.  Life with a trach is easy and hard, quiet and noisy, simple and complex, full of joys and tears, fulfilling and draining.  And most of the time, life is all of those things at once.  I wouldn't change much about the last 3 years and I doubt if I could, I would change the trach.  Tater is who he is because of all he has  gone through.  And I definitely would not change a thing about this sweet booger:

2 comments:

Ann said...

Great picture of your little Tater! This life IS full of contradictions - thus the roller coaster ride that is so exhausting. But, if that's what it takes to have our amazing kids in our lives, I guess we just hang on for dear life and try and enjoy the ride as much as possible.

I hope things are okay ... I didn't fully understand the last post (I'm slow that way). Sending hugs your way.

Amy said...

I'm sorry the roller coaster is such a long one. I'm sure just when you think the ride's going to level out, you see that huge hill ahead of you. :( Know that I'm thinking of you way across town. It's been too long since I've gotten to snuggle those boys. They look GROWN! Have they chosen colleges yet??

Counter