Toser, Toser, Toser. What we gonna do with you? You're 5-going-on-6 in every sense. You have much better control on your emotions and we don't have the swinging from extreme happiness to extreme devastation every day now. (Your brother has taken on that role so we haven't yet had the chance to reflect on that with fondness.) You're a fabulous big brother and the love you have for Tater is amazing. He loves when you read to him and I often find you two snuggled up on the couch reading a phonics reader. You also have taken on your role of little brother tormentor with gusto and can goad him like none other. You're a funny little guy and your smile literally lights up rooms. You have a twisted sense of humor and laugh hard at shows like WipeOut and America's Funniest Videos. In fact, you love WipeOut so much, your teacher had to prod you to write about something else in your journal. You got mad when I laughed a bit too hard at that one so that sensitive streak is still in you. You wrote about the launch of Space Shuttle Discovery the next day.
You are a smart little guy and you often ask me questions I really have a hard time answering. Sometimes you take my suggestion to ask Daddy when he gets home but a lot of times you won't let me off the hook. Google is my friend in looking up what kind of ship recovers the Solid Rocket Boosters after a shuttle launch and your questions about planets. Speaking of, you know that a Googol is a 1 followed by 100 zeros. You are obsessed with the President flash cards I got in the dollar bin and you quiz me: Mommy, who was the 22nd President? (I have no clue)
You have completed all of the components of Kindergarten math and are doing extra math work during nap time at school. You understand math concepts I have a hard time explaining to you. You got both of your grandfathers' genes in that regard and I know I will always be amazed at how you just "know" math instead of having to figure it out like I do. Our school system doesn't have a gifted program for Kindergarteners but you and 4 of your friends attend "Enrichment" classes with the Gifted Program teacher. The first day you brought home one of your enrichment worksheets, Daddy and I sat there with our mouths open because we honestly had a hard time figuring out the logic relationships you were working on. You're a smart cookie but you aren't cocky about it.
I love you, Toser. I love you so much my heart hurts. I have been really worried lately. I worry you're going to fall through the cracks because we get wrapped up in your brother's issues. It's a silly worry, really, because you are so loving and strong. Daddy and I say you're the kid who won't go away for college but stay at home because you want to be close to your brother. You understand, on a level most kids would never get, your brother does need a bit more attention and you do not begrudge him that. You make me and Daddy pay for it sometimes but you would never dream of punishing him for it. Your Kindergarten teacher calls you a blessing. You are. You are one of my greatest blessings.
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Awww....are you trying to make me cry?!
How sweet is that?! Thanks for sharing a little bit about your Toser - he sounds like a terrific kid.
Ann
I concur. Toser rocks! What a sweet post.
Sniff, sniff. I love you to pieces Toser. You and Tater will forever be the brosins (read: cousins that we love like brothers) that we so love in our family.
Aunt Leeda
PS. Mr. A, do you think that a "brosin" is anyway related to "a billie?"
oh my, rip my ever lovin' heart out! I love him so much! Sunday, while we were at mom's, I told him that I love him and I had to go but I did not want to. He came and crawled in my lap and squeezed his arms as tight as he could around my neck and said, "Please don't go "! I was putty in his hands, but that is really nothing new!
I've been on the verge of tears for a few hours now...thanks for pushing me right over the edge. Toser has always been an incredible kid. Smarter than makes sense (no offense to you and Mr. A, of course), and you can see the sweet in his eyes. Thanks for sharing him with us.[And can you check his calendar? C needs some math tutoring. lol]
searching for a tissue..*sob*
Post a Comment