Monday, February 25, 2008

Catch 22

We're waiting and waiting and waiting. We were told it may take a while to get into the Ventilator (Vent) Program at Children's. The doctors here have been playing phone tag with the doctors there and they just actually talked to each other this morning. And the update is not much of an update. Of course there is no spot open at the program and the only way we can get first priority for a spot is for Tater to be transferred to the PICU at Children's as a critical patient. Tater isn't critical at all. He's actually doing better now than he ever has.

And that, my children, is called a catch 22. Excuse me while I throw myself on the ground and thrash around: $%#^@@%$@*%$!!!!!

Okay now. Luckily the doctors here and there really like Tater and they're trying to figure out something, anything, that will work out in favor of everyone (and keep our insurance company happy).


I don't think I've mentioned that Tater has MRSA. They tested for it when they discovered Tater had an infection and we found out he has it on Friday. It's a type of staph that is resistant to some types of antibiotics but in the hospital it's EVERYWHERE and it really wasn't a question of if Tater was going to get it but when. And honestly, it's just not something anyone is worried about. He's on a local, inhaled antibiotic that usually gets rid of MRSA and they'll check again today to see if that's working. We think Tater's trying to get the most bang with our insurance's buck out of this hospital journey. Yes, journey. A hospital stay is something like a 2 weeks. A hospital journey is anything over that and we've been here 4 weeks tomorrow. Tater will have passed his 10 month and 11 month marks in the hospital. Yay Tater.

And have I told you how big this kid has gotten? He's huge! And his hair has gotten so red. I'll post a picture later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, catch 22's aren't fun; neither are catch 23's or 24's for that matter. I truly hope your hospital journey doesn't go on so long that you start mentally thinking of how to redecorate the PICU. If you are already in that state, I wonder if you should write a book on how to stay sane when things feel insane; I'd buy several copies. Keep us updated on the MRSA and post a pic of the big redhead, I can't wait to see him.

kwu

Counter