Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Crawling

Tater is crawling! At 22 months, the child decided to crawl. All by himself. We had moved on to working on walking so weren't focusing much on him being in the "quad position," or hands and knees. Two weeks ago he started getting on all fours and rocking back and forth. Last week decided to coordinate arms and legs and go! Of course he won't do it when I try to record him. It's a very slow, determined crawl and he doesn't make it very far when he does go but this is a great milestone for him. We never expected him to crawl because the tone in his arms is so low. His legs are a little better off so the doctors were always more optimistic about walking and said crawling could be skipped. Tater decided otherwise.

Tater's underlying condition, the one that is caused by some unknown disorder and is the cause for many of his other, secondary issues, is low muscle tone, or hypotonia. He has all of muscles and can use them normally, but for whatever reason, there is a disconnect between his brain signals and those muscles. A normal muscle will retract when an outside force (gravity, another person) pulls against it. Tater's muscles don't retract immediately, if at all. He's very floppy. He looks like any other kid but if you hold him, you can tell he's not right. It's kind of like the opposite of someone having very toned arms. If they're toned, arm muscles are always engaged even if they're not doing an activity. Tater's muscles are hardly ever engaged. He's gotten stronger these last few months but strength doesn't matter much when the muscles aren't working properly in the first place.

All that to say any milestone like crawling is more than HUGE. I'm very proud of the little booger. The little booger who is constantly getting in trouble for hitting Toser. I guess you can't get one normal without getting them all.

And about the vague surgery coming up. We'll schedule that in April and it will probably happen in May so we have time to prepare. I'm grateful his doctor was willing to wait until RSV and flu season are over to do the surgery.

In addition to the crawling, we're all doing well here. Sicknesses are abating and we seem to be in a somewhat normal place. Of course, now that I said that, some ball is going to drop. We'll just enjoy life until it does.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so great!!! And so amazing y'all weren't working with him too much on it anymore!
KK

Anonymous said...

YEAH TATER!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you and can't wait to see again. You and your cousin are on your own time table. He just started walking at 17.5 months. We promise to sit back and continue to be amazed and enthralled by you. Love, Aunt Leeda

Amy said...

That's incredible!! What a great surprise, huh? I got so excited when I read the post, I shouted "'Tater' can crawl!" The boys came over to the computer, and of course, the first thing they said was "I want to see!" We'll keep our fingers crossed that little booger cooperates soon for video... ;)

Love you all,
Amy and the boys

Counter