Thursday, February 26, 2009

WhooDoggies. It IS ON!

Okay, here we go. Again. Khaki is fired up about something and you can all ignore her. Um, ignore me. I've been on Facebook too much.

There is a BBC show that dared to hire [gasp] a woman missing a part of her arm to host a children's show. Can you believe it?! Can you believe that they think it is important enough to expose children to all kinds of different-looking people? Can you believe they think it may be a good idea to start this kind of enlightenment at an early age?! Sarcasm over... Can you believe there are parents writing into the show saying they're afraid the host will "frighten the children?"

I cannot express enough how this sickens me. Or how stupid the British press is for referring to this woman as "one armed." She very obviously has both of her arms, it's just that one of those arms doesn't have a hand. It would be more appropriate to say this woman is lacking one of her hands.

Why are they concerned with this? They being the press, the parents, whomever. I've never seen this show. It may very well be the worst children's show ever. But to degrade it because the host only has one hand?! Let's go after those really bad children's' shows like Lazy Town and Yo! Gabba! Gabba! Those shows are horrid in that they are just dumb. Those shows should be raising the parental ire, not a show trying to expose children to different abilities.

I tell you what. Let these people who are afraid a woman with one hand will frighten children come to my house. I'll let them see my child hooked up to wires and tubes and with a stupid HOLE IN HIS NECK. And Tater looks normal compared to many other children who are depedent on medical technology to keep them alive. My God. People can be so stupid.

1 comment:

Amy said...

And you know, as the mother of two boys who have played with that sweet boy with a hole in his neck, let me say that they DON'T CARE. Honestly, do kids notice things like that? Yes. Then they ask about it. And MOVE ON.

Case in point. The other day, K said, "I want to see Boo again." (And I'm not using code names here, he actually said Boo.) I thought, "Boo, who's that?" I asked him who he was talking about, and he said, "You know my friend with Buzz Lightyear." Um, all his friends like BL. "You know, we went to his house." Still not narrowing it down. He described him probably three more ways before he said, "And his little brother had that rope around his neck."

It was NOT the first thing he thought of. He knows there's more to Toser and Tater than that "rope."

Children learn what they live, people. Duh. (How's that for an intelligent argument?) And they're only afraid of what they don't understand. So let them see a one-handed (indeed, not one-armed) woman so they can learn NOT to be afraid of it.

It's the parents who are afraid. Make no mistake.

Counter