Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stinky Neck

Tater's infection seems to have come from the central line. We're still waiting on "official" word on this but that seems to be it. The central line is gone so hopefully the infection is too. Tater also has (had?) a type of bacteria around his trach that is common in patients on ventilators and in ICUs. It gives off a very distinct odor that is sweet smelling and stinky- like a bad case of neck cheese. He smells a lot better now that the trach and the trach ties have been changed (they wait a week to do that so the trach area heals sufficiently). In all likelihood Tater will get this again with having the trach so I’m glad this happened in the hospital-I now know what that smell is. Bleh.

Coco stayed with Tater yesterday while I took Toser home for some Mommy-Toser time. And Wissa stayed with Tater last night so Mr. Awesome and I were actually both at home with Toser at the same time. We took a walk, took him to dinner, wrestled on the bed and just had so much fun with him. Technically, Wissa isn’t allowed to stay here (Coco can because she’s a grandmother and Wissa would make that claim if she didn’t look younger than me). But P.A.M. was here last night and was able to teach Wissa how to suction the trach and show her a few things, so it was an official learning visit. Anyone who keeps Tater will have to know all this stuff and it’s nice to have them learn from the pros instead of us. :) And it was so very nice to be able to spend time with Toser and not have to run back to the hospital. Thank you Coco, Wissa and P.A.M.- we appreciate this more than you know.

And the latest Tater news: he's going to need some type of ventilator support when he goes home. The setting he needs is pretty low as far as ventilator settings go but that little bit is what's helping him the most right now. And in order for him to go home on a ventilator, Mr. Awesome and I have to be trained in home ventilation use. We'll have to go to Children's Hospital in Birmingham and go through their home ventilation program which lasts anywhere from 2- to 8-weeks. Our understanding is that we'll stay in a dorm-type setting and pretty much be on our own after instruction, with help immediately there if we need it (that could be totally wrong but is what we've gathered). Hopefully we'll be able to wean him off the ventilator settings in the future but even then any other type of machine help will have to come through tweaked ventilator settings- the only way to do CPAP and BiPAP for a trach are through a ventilator.

So, off to B'ham we go. When? We don't know. Of course there's a waiting list for the program and no one can say how long we'll have to wait to get in. Tater will have to stay in the PICU here until a spot opens up at Children’s and then will be transferred by ambulance there. We asked about getting in to another program at either Vandy or Emory but we'll have first priority with Children's being in-state and we already have a relationship with the director of the home ventilation program there since he's Tater's sleep study doctor. We'll keep you updated and let you know when we're going.

Mr. Awesome’s Aunt Gigi stopped by on her way through town today and took me and Toser to lunch after seeing Tater. Toser LOVES his Gigi and couldn’t wait to show her the Hospital tram and how he can open all the doors on the way there. I love how he shows off by pushing this button and waving his hand over that sensor. He even knows which tram is the express one and which one stops at the buildings between the childrens’ and main hospitals, even though they switch tracks constantly. All I can say is that he has engineer blood in his veins-literally and figuratively.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the source of the infection has been determined. I hope a spot in the ventilator program opens up really soon, so you don't have a long wait. I'm also hoping for you guys that the duration is much closer to 2 wks.


I've got a blender that I never could quite get to operate properly. Perhaps Toser could figure it out then teach me; afterwards, we'll all get together and enjoy some concoctions.

kwu

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr and Mrs Awesome. I want to come back. Please read your emails and call me today.
Love, Leeda

Chloe's mom said...

Hey Caty and sweet Nate!!!! I am re-living everything we went through with Ms. Chloe reading your blog!!!! Even the 'stinky neck!!" (Good news- that goes away as things heal and you change trach ties daily!)

I have to say you are in awesome hands in there! As far as Birmingham goes-try to plan so you and your 'helper' can be there together and it won't take the full 6-weeks!

Dr. Makris, Donna Slayton and Cheryl Jones in Birmingham are AWESOME with the training.

I bet you will get an LTV-950 vent and if you ever need help after you get home- Joe (my hubby) & I would LOVE to help~!

We didn't have anyone to talk to when this happened with Chloe and it feels sorta 'lonely' and scary when no-one you know is 'traveling the same road'.

I would like to come meet Nate with Chloe-bug! Please Email me or call 256-503-9980 anytime if that's ok! We would love to come out tomorrow afternoon!

Sorry this is so long....I just don't know where to start and there's so much.... :) (Bet Sandra told you I'm a talker too!)

Hugs!
Jenny
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chloebush

Amy said...

Mmm...cheesy tater! Yum! ;) I'm glad that they've determined what the infection is so they can take care of it.

I hope that the spot opens up in Bham soon so you can go through it and come home. What are you going to do with Toser? I can imagine that you and Mr. A LOVED having time together with him. I hope you won't have to be without him the whole time you're in Bham.

We love you guys and hope to see you soon. Holla if you need anything ;)
Aim, SKP, Kowboy and the Connman

Counter