We're on alert. Children's will call and say a bed is available in the PICU and we'll have to go as soon as they can pack Tater on the bus (ambulance, bus sounds cuter). Could be today or it could be next week, at any time of the day. And that's both good and bad. Good because it gets Tater one step closer to the Vent Clinic and finally going home and bad because we'll have to move to B'ham and wait there. The PICU at Children's isn't like the one here and we won't be able to stay with Tater 24/7. I am so upset about this. He will be laying in a bed in a very strange room (it's actually an open unit) with strange nurses and therapists who do not know him and will be too busy to play and kiss on him like they all do here. Not that they haven't been super busy here but they have their priorities straight (by that I mean they always find time to play with Tater). And at Children's we will have to deal with Medical Interns and Residents who are either my age or younger and c'mon, that's just not old enough. The Interns here look like they're 15 and I know it has to be worse in Birmingham.
Okay, although I'm a little wary of Children's, I know Tater will be taken care of. But there we won't have J.W., Tater's Mama Bear nurse-she will challenge anyone she thinks is messing with "her baby"; or S.I., Tater's sweet, quiet nurse who will cry with us when he's in pain; or SuperNana the Respiratory Therapist who I'm having to watch or she just might take Tater home with her; or R.M., Tater's girlfriend who will play peek-a-boo and kiss on him for so long she gets behind on her other patients; or M. who sings and dances for Tater and who you can tell he thinks is absolutely gorgeous by the way he stares at her; or A. who offered to go through her son's clothes to see if Tater could wear any of them because he's gotten so big and needs a bigger size now; or J. -RT extraordanaire who calls Tater "my man" and "brother" and who is extra nice and helpful even though he's usually running around crazybusy (J intubated Tater the night he was rushed to the PICU and gave me the best compliment on how calm I was then even though I felt like I was coming unglued) . :( And these are just the people who have taken care of Tater the most. Even the staff who've only had him here and there are so attentive and caring and take the time to eat his toes and play with his mohawk.
I know, I know. We'll get to B'ham and I'll love it there too but I'm pulling a Toser right now, sticking my lip out and pouting because I DON'T LIKE IT!!
Speaking of Toser, he's with Aunt Leeda and Nick at our house (after the weekend there with both my sisters, Wissa and Manny, Wissa's fam and Manny's friend Jane). 'Pencer was left at home in SC this time because the force that is Toser-'Pencer wore Leeda down a few weeks ago and she's a tough cookie to wear down. When she goes home we have many other aunts lined up for stints at the homestead. Toser seems to be happier there with his stuff rather than having to put his buppa and rabbit in a bag and schlepping them all over the place.
So, that's what we know for now. I'll keep you updated about B'ham/Children's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Geez, what a wonderful and amazing staff it sounds like you've had at HH PICU. I hope the team at BM is going to be just as loving and supportive. I guess the main thing is that it's an inevitable step that'll get you closer to home sweet home. I really hope you can feel the love that goes out to all of you!!
kwu
We're definitely game for Thomas. :) I have a feeling Jack would take permanent residence at your house if he knew the train lived there, lol.
Continued prayers for you all. If Toser wants a change of scenery, we'd be more than happy to have him play here!
I think you've earned a tantrum. And as scary as it was when you first got to the PICU...and may still be sometimes...you've found some comfort zones and gotten close to the nurses and doctors. Now it's CHANGE again. I just hope that the Bham hospital will recognize greatness in their presence when you guys show up! And before you know it, you'll be back home-home!
I will definitely pray for you guys, especially since you won't be able to stay with Tater 24/7.
Love you guys!
ASKC
Post a Comment