Leeda and Wissa have both moved their families into our house for extended periods just so we can see Toser 30 minutes at a time. The rest of the family who can't move into the house are determined to keep the house clean and have been paying for a cleaning crew to come every 2 weeks. Mr. Awesome's aunt Gigi is coming today for a couple of Toser days and then Kajja comes Wednesday to keep Toser until the end of the month. My mom and dad are filling in the gaps with the Toser (and I think a little miffed they don't get to keep him more-they just haven't had a chance because everyone else is calling it).
And then there's the extended family, friends and our community. Since we don't know when we're going to B'ham we haven't been making plans but still feel the need to see people who are not dressed in scrubs. Everyone has been great about doing things with us at the drop of a hat, coming to stay with Tater while we run away, bringing snacks, giving us certificates to restaurants around the hospital, calling to check on us- you name it, people are doing it for us. I have an "art benefactor" who is paying for any art classes I want to take with Ms. Bekah Bynum, artist extraordinaire. Mr. Awesome's employer has been more than accommodating with vacation time and schedule flexibility. I know I'm forgetting some stuff because there has been so much done for us.
I'm mortified to say that I haven't written many thank-you's since Tater was born. Toser's 2nd birthday was 6 days after Tater was born and everyone brought him a ton of presents but I was in a fog or not there and don't know who brought what (I still look at stuff and wonder where it came from). Kajja's best friend from high school brought Toser's birthday cake-Peggy Ann nonetheless- because I didn't think to get one. Friends stayed with Toser at night so we could come at NICU visiting hours to see Tater. We had people bringing meals for 3 months after we brought Tater home. Mr. Awesome's colleagues gave us $200 in restaurant gift cards. The church we visit
Summer came and I was embarrased because I didn't know where to start or what to thank anyone for so I put it off. Then Tater had surgery in August and pretty much every week since has been filled with hospitals, doctors appointments and therapy sessions. I'm an all or nothing kinda gal so sending just some is out of the question. And what if I-sent-one-to-someone-who-shared-it-with-someone-else-and-then-they-wondered-why-they-didn't-get-one-too? (Did I mention I'm also kind of crazy?) The thought of all the thank you's I need to send is overwhelming. And the funny thing is the people I need to thank the most are the ones rolling their eyes and saying they don't need/expect/want a thank you.
So until I can get my act together: THANK YOU. I'm humbled by the how nice and generous and kind everyone has been. I'm crying because I can't express this enough through a blog. If anyone says the world is a mean place, point them in my direction because Tater and I have a lifetime's worth of examples to set 'em straight.
No comments:
Post a Comment