So it turns out that BHam isn't much different in that we're just sitting here waiting. Tater did great during the transfer although he may have liked the ambulance ride a little too much. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the constant attention he had from K and J, the nurse and RT from the PICU who rode down with us. I had to ride up front and every time I looked back they were playing with him.
We start orientation for the vent program on Monday. Tater was initially put in a room in a observation unit and we couldn't stay with him but he was moved to a regular room Thursday and we can stay 24/7 now. We'll probably be here 4 more weeks (best we can tell). We thought we would start right away with education but I guess they're trying to get to know the Tater and figure out what we all know before we start.
I'm telling you-Tater has become such an expert at getting attention. And EVERYONE falls for it. Tater's entourage from the ambulance (J, K, 2 EMSers) had to transfer him to the room. (Sidenote: Children's has a metal detector in the ER I had to walk through-it binged and the security guard ASKED if I had a weapon instead of checking my bags-I totally could have smuggled a samurai sword in and gotten away with it) Tater was on a stretcher and they had it elevated to get through the halls so he was at head level and could see everything. We walked by a nurses' station where several people were. Tater started smacking his lips (that's how he blows kisses) and waving both hands like a king on parade. Every.single.person. at that station said "awwww' and waved back. Talk about making an entrance. We had people stopping by all day to see "the cute baby who waved." My child. He knows how to work a room.
Mr. Awesome went home yesterday to work some and see the Toser. Toser has been having adventure after adventure with Gigi . They've dyed Easter Eggs, went to the book store, had playdates, got a teddy bear from a fireman-all kinds of fun. And Toser has apparently developed some kind of normal appetite where he eats things other than grilled cheese and yogurt. Everytime I talk to Toser he sounds so happy. Gigi has been good for him. Kajja drove in Thursday night and will stay through the end of the month and I know the adventures will keep on coming, complete with smoothies (Toser loves Kajja's smoothies).
And our BHam friends have picked up where our home friends left off with the hospitality. We have a permanent invitation for a bed at the Gov'na (Ben's college roommate-we don't really know the governor) and Mrs. Gov'na's house. Mrs. Gov'na stopped by the hospital Wednesday and made it clear she's a kindred spirit. My best friend from kindergarden (Sisa) brought a HUGE basket of snacks and took me to dinner with her almost-sister-in-law (thanks for paying SP). And several of Mr. Awesome's college friends have made offers I'm sure we'll get around to taking advantage of. Of course the help from home hasn't stopped. Our friends are still ready to jump at a moment's notice to take care of anything we need. P.A.M.! from the PICU even came down with one of her friends last night just to take me to the Cheesecake Factory. I'm definitely not losing any weight here.
We have internet in this room so I should be able to update-even though there isn't much to write about now other than the waiting. I'm afraid you'll have to put up with a bored woman's rants until something happens.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I bet Nate loved the Ambulance ride. I know you are glad to get started so you can get home sooner. We miss you.
Michael and Tabitha
molly and brett are trying to get you. they came to bham to see nate and she can't get you on your phone. thought we would try this route incase you were on your laptop. call her cell. melissa
Hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait... I'm sure that's frustrating. But Tater keeps you entertained, clearly. How cute!!
Can't wait to see him again in person.
Much love,
Amy and Da Boyz
Post a Comment